To become a member of the Ontario Chapter, you must first be a current member of the Association of Professional Genealogists. You do not have to reside in Ontario to be a member.
Professional does not mean we are all researchers for hire. Our group welcomes anyone who aspires to recognized standards in genealogical research and family history writing. We have members who work in allied fields such as libraries, archives and publishing. We have members whose primary interest is in education through writing, speaking, and teaching courses and workshops. We have members whose main goal is to produce their own quality family history. We have members in almost every corner of this great province.
Once you are a member of the APG, print and complete the membership form OCAPG_Form_2020 (pdf) OR OCAPG Form 2020 (docx) to join the Ontario Chapter. Send your application form by postal mail with your membership fee to our treasurer OR email to the treasurer. The form has been provided in two formats (pdf or docx) for your convenience.
The current OCAPG membership fee is $12.00 per calendar year. Joining in late fall will extend membership through the following calendar year.
Chapter Membership Benefits
- Peer support is very beneficial for discussing research strategies and methodology, mutual concerns about business management and records access, and for improving our skills
- At meetings, members are entitled to contribute to the agenda, participate in discussions, vote on motions and in elections, bring a guest and take a turn on the executive.
- On our website, members appear, if they wish, with a short biography and contact information. Here we promote our services to the public and potential clients. Researchers can list their specialty areas. Members who do not research for clients may describe their affiliations, products or other interests and services.
- Our electronic mailing list is also exclusive to members only. It allows us to share news updates and seek assistance or recommendations from our colleagues.
- Most months we have an online chat (business meeting and discussion) courtesy of the Association of Professional Genealogists. This provides an opportunity to brainstorm on genealogical problem-solving, professional issues or chapter projects.
- Members are given a reduced rate for our special events.